The aims of the club are:
(1) To foster mountaineering activities within the Royal Navy and Royal Marines, encouraging and bringing together all those who enjoy being in the hills and mountains.
(2) To represent the views of members to the Joint Services Mountaineering Committee and the British Mountaineering Council (BMC).
(3) To advise the SO2AT on mountaineering matters.
The club sponsors and supports a number of activities:
(1) Regular weekend and occasionally longer meets at various places in the United Kingdom. Some are slanted towards rock climbing, some towards snow and ice climbing but most are suitable for hill and mountain walkers. Travelling expenses can be claimed for those meets for which SO2AT has approved Recreational Travel.
(2) An annual expedition to the Alps with the Army and RAF Mountaineering Associations (JSAM). Some financial assistance is normally available, Alpine Guides are employed and special arrangements are made to ensure that Alpine Novices are properly looked after and are able to gain experience and qualifications.
(3) Major expeditions to remote parts of the world. A regular bulletin is produced, which keeps members in touch with each other. It includes Meet and Expedition reports, the latest club news and details of forthcoming events.